Visits and activities
What is there to see and to do in the neighbourhood?
- Do you want to visit churches, castles or old cities? Óbidos, Batalha, Coimbra and Conimbriga are beautiful spots where you are surrounded by history. And there is much more.
- Shopping in Lisbon? Or a walking or a cycling tour through this amazing city. The enthusiastic Dutch guide, Renate De Haan-Vicente, is ready to show you the sights. Renate can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org or we can assist in reserving an afternoon.
- Sporting activities are also available. Take a look at the watersports in Foz de Arelho (www.escoladeveladalagoa.com), and golfing in Peniche of Rio Major. Peniche – Baleal is the place for the surfing enthousiast or those who would like to learn surfing, to enjoy the wind and the waves.
- The beach is around the corner. São Martinho do Porto - Salir do Porto of Foz do Arelho are real family beaches. There are also other smaller beaches within easy reach of Casa Granjamor.
- The Costa da Prata and the Serra de Candeeiros with their impressive grottos are great for walking trips. We can inform you of all these possibilities.
The Portuguese know what good food is, in welcoming restaurants. Enjoy a meal with the whole family in one of the local restaurants. We know many good restaurants and are happy to share our favourite addresses with you.
Top it all off with a delicious wine. The surrounding district is full of vineyards. Visit a wine tasting at the Cortém winery and sample the excellent organic wines from the Caldas da Rainha region.
And what about a warm meat roll (straight from the grill!) at the weekly Sunday market in Santana or Pataias? We are happy to point you in the direction of a traditional Portuguese Sunday.
Everything is in close vicinity to Casa Granjamor. And after a wonderful day out and about, take time to relax, take a swim in the pool, make a barbecue, read, do nothing…
- Chocolate Festival Óbidos: international chocolate event for the true “chocoholic”! The dates for 2017 will follow when announced.
- Medieval market, Óbidos: this annual spectacle takes place in the beautiful fortress city of Óbidos in July/August. The dates for 2017 will follow when announced.
- Festas das Flores, Campo Maior: Campo Maior Wonderfully decorated with colourful paper flowers. A feast for the eyes!
Parque dos Monges: a Theme Park for the whole family. Adventure, nature sports such as climbing, archery, slides, abseiling and canoeing on the lake. A medieval village and the magic forest, a location full of mystery.
Buddha Eden Garden of Peace: magnificent gardens (35 hectares) with several Buddha statues and many peaceful spots. The garden is open all year round. A treat for the eyes.
- Mais Jazz Portugal: jazz café, once a month on Sunday in the Sana Hotel in Caldas da Rainha. Check out the Facebook page for the programme.
- Nazaré: traditionally a fishing village, women wearing local costumes (7 skirts!) and the highest waves in the world, according to Garrett McNamara and many other surfers. Impressive!
Fonte da Bica: definitely worth a visit. Like being in another world.